Sunday, September 30, 2007

Resume and Cover Letter Advice

For this week’s blog, I read three more articles. The first one, “Pretty in Ink: Making a Resume Look as Appealing as the Content” by Sarah E. Needleman, reminded me of the movie, “Legally Blonde”. I love when Elle Woods presents her resume on pink scented paper to stand out from the other internship applicants. Sarah Needleman makes many great pointers in her article about ways to make your resume stand out among the rest. She describes several success stories for various applicants whose resumes are not conventional. I agree with Jay Hargis’ advice to make the resume eye appealing while still focusing on sound content. He stresses the needs of “identifying your skills, work history, and education.” After reading this article, I have thought about how I can add a special touch to my own resume for grad school.

I have never given much thought to a video resume. After reading “Video Resumes are Taking Off” by Diana Ransom, I discovered how this creative interpretation of a resume could be highly effective within the right context. However, I think that I will stick to the conventional approach to writing a resume when applying to grad school or a future job. I want the hiring managers to read and value my individual skills and qualifications without having a metal picture of me. Physically seeing my enthusiasm could be positive; however, I think my written qualifications are substantial. This article is a great source of advice stating the suitable attire for a video resume as well as the appropriate length. I am glad to now have a more in depth understanding of the ways in which video resumes are contributing to several job positions.

I have been thinking about what I would like to include inside of my cover letter. This article titled, “Six Tips for Writing a Winning Cover Letter” by Marshall Loeb, was extremely helpful. I now feel more prepared to write a persuasive cover letter. Marshall Loeb gives the great advice to personalize the letter’s opening by sending it to a specific person instead of the generic statement: To whom it may concern. I think it is key to end the letter with “a call to action”. Marshall Loeb states that it is important to request that the employer call or e-mail once a decision has been made as well as you following up a week later. I like that Marshall Loeb makes the point to advise checking the letter before it is sent. Proofreading is so important, making sure the company’s name and address are correctly displayed.

These three articles presented me with great information that I am using and will use in the future for writing cover letters and resumes! It is exciting to think about having a “real job” soon, but the process of obtaining a job must be completed well! It is wonderful to have the opportunity to learn the step by step process for entering into the work force early on!!

No comments: