Sunday, October 21, 2007

Interview Reflection

My interview was conducted on October 10, 2007. Prior to the interview, I researched Clemson University’s Graduate School of Elementary Education. This simple research allowed me to become familiar with the curriculum. My favorite sentence in the program’s description states that the master’s program supports teachers facilitating “lively class discussions and active student involvement.” I was excited to read that Dr. Dee Stegelin was the Program Coordinator.

I am thankful to have been given the opportunity for a mock interview because the interview was excellent practice for admission into graduate school. Prior to this interview, I consistently had a fear of interrogation by the interviewer. After this mock interview, however, I developed a new confidence in my ability to speak during an interview. In the past, my pattern for preparing for an interview consisted of rehearsing elaborate answers to potential questions. The mock interview was the first experience that I have had in which none of the questions that I rehearsed were asked. However, I answered all of Angie’s questions with ease and confidence. I walked out of the interview feeling proud about my communication skills. I learned that excessive rehearsing is not always needed because the interviewee can not predict the exact questions to be asked. I know this revelation may seem obvious to many, but it took several years for me to realize that the ideal preparation for an interview is to relax and feel confident in your academic successes and communication skills.

I am pleased with the interview experience. There is one aspect relating to my non-verbal communication skills that I will change for the next interview. While talking with Angie, I realized that my eyes would look upwards towards the ceiling at times. Although this is a habit that most people do when they are pondering a question, I think it can hinder interpersonal communication. Therefore, during the graduate school admission interview, I will be conscious of maintaining continual eye contact.

No comments: